Monday, August 6, 2012

Simplicity 6457

Simplicity 6457



This was one of the first dresses I made and you can tell! How about those gathers, cringe.  I made the mistake of unpicking the original bad gathering I started that had started to come undone and redid the using the magical dental floss technique.  I love this technique, no broken bobbin threads, but when I took out the floss at the end I also unpicked the zig zag stitch that I did over the top. Silly, so now the gathers aren't even but that's ok, I never really wore this and never will, it was a good learning curve.  Also the skirt needs to be fuller I think, and this cheap dotty cotton doesn't work so well with the style.  I love the big red buttons, but I think they help in making the whole dress look a bit too young for me, it would look cute on a little girl. 

It's funny, when I started sewing everything looked extremely homemade and I didn't care, I was proud that everyone knew that I had obviously made it.  Now though, the more I sew and gain more experience, I'm starting to notice how clumsy some of my old stuff looks, but I just can't bring myself to go back to these projects that sucked up so much of my time and enegry to fix such obvious mistakes. I guess I just have to make better quality clothes from now on!


2 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this post :). I look at my early sewing projects and I can't believe that I was proud of them (but I really was). Mind you they weren't as well made the dress you posted.
    Guess we are both moving onto better things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's natural progression, I remember at the start wearing things to work and girls picking off long threads of cotton that I'd neglected to pull off! Maybe a little too keen take it for a spin in real life, ha, I always get too excited once I near the finish line!

    ReplyDelete